At Byrens Kim Design Works we are dedicated to the development of our team. Our small and intimate structure allows for a comprehensive experience in the field of architectural practice, exposing any one member to a wide range of project development phases. We offer competitive salary, flexible work hours, and match 401k, PTO, and medical.
We value the ability to share and collaborate within a team and are looking for individuals who share similar interests in delivering creative design solutions for our community. We strive to deliver projects that aim to achieve triple bottom line. We value creative and independent thinkers who are capable of making professional recommendations. Individuals should strive to meet our clients’ needs through expert advice and value added solutions.
The following positions are now available:
Job Captain / Intermediate Level Architectural Designer
Byrens Kim Design Works is an Oakland based full service architectural design and planning practice of 10 staff in pursuit of serving the public. Our projects bring value to education and growth of our community. We are looking for another team member to collaborate on following project types:
- Public Education projects ranging from kindergarten to higher education environment.
- Community projects including recreational centers, libraries, and parks.
- Workplace design
- Infrastructure projects in pursuit of sustainable environment.
We at BKDW are passionate about creating a process that delivers a Triple Bottom Line to all of our projects with the goal to generate built environments we feel proud about. We value creative and independent thinkers. The perfect candidate strives to meet our clients’ needs by offering expert advice and value added solutions.
We are dedicated to the development of our team and provide comprehensive experience that allows each team member to experience various aspects of an architectural practice. Our small and intimate office environment supports opportunities to gain experience on projects of all scales in various project development processes. We offer a competitive salary, flexible work hours, 401k matching, PTO, and medical/dental benefits.
The successful Job Captain applicant will be responsible for the project documentation production. They must be proficient in initiating, structuring, developing and delivering full architectural documentation at all stages of the project. The proficient Job Captain works collaboratively with the Project Architect to develop clear, effective, beautiful presentations, project deliverables, permit applications, construction documents and construction administration documents. A balance between self-proficiency, accountability and team collaboration is key to success. Delegation and mentoring of junior staff is part of the job. The Job Captain controls, schedules and coordinates consultant documentation in concert with the project schedule and is responsible for documentation-based communications and distribution to the project team.
Proficiency in Revit is required, and our office structure allows for and encourages improvements.
At BKDW, most Job Captains take key roles in the Design, Construction Document and Construction Administration phases. Applicants should have significant experience. Please describe your experience in your application.
The following qualifications are required.
- 5+ years of working experience in the field
- Proven track record for generating full permit sets for projects in collaboration with project architect/manager.
- Knowledge of CBC
- Knowledge of design and documentation for ADA
- Construction Administration experience
- Ability to mentor and delegate task to junior staff
- Proficiency in REVIT and AUTOCAD
- Architecture degree and progress toward licensure.
- Great Verbal and Written Communications Skills
- Ability to work as a collaborative team member
- Ability to review project schedule and to provide feedback in production approach
- Attention to details
- Desire to Create
- Knowledge of construction techniques
- Ability to perform materials and industry research
In addition, the following skills are desired:
- Rendering Abilities including 3D modeling [Rhino, 3DS, SketchUp] and 2D post production [Creative Suite].
- DSA or OSHPD experience.
BKDW seeks applicants interested in taking the role of Office BIM Manager.
The BIM Manager responsibilities include:
- Implementation, development and maintenance of office BIM and documentation standards.
- Rollout, installation and maintenance of architectural technologies on staff systems.
- Revit template maintenance and development
- Technology research and development – what is new in the industry? What should we be watching, developing, implementing?
- Technology training to junior (and senior) staff
- Technology standards development in the firm Practice Manual
How to Apply:
Please forward a cover letter highlighting your qualifications, including a current resume and relevant portfolio samples (5 Mb maximum file size) to email@example.com. Qualified candidates must have work permit for the US.
We are in search of a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented person to be our Office Manager and Marketing Collaborator. The position requires the initiative and oversight to sustain a holistic office environment.
Candidate should have great communication skills, both verbal and written. The position will require working on a wide range of tasks and responsibilities, requiring a great attitude, reliability, organization, and a collaborative spirit. The position, and culture of our office, is to work on a variety of tasks, at a variety of intensities, with any and all staff and outside connections. This position is a 24h/week up to a fulltime position depending on a candidate’s ability to perform tasks in all areas outlined below. We are open to training a candidate with an outstanding performance record when not familiar with all job duties.
General Office Management
- Respond to incoming calls, meet and greet visitors / vendors / clients.
- Facilities – Responsible for general office appearance and maintenance: mail, water plants, oversee janitor, trash consolidation. Handle office environment issues (i.e. leaks, repairs, etc.) and other basic maintenance
- Order and organize general office and kitchen supplies
- IT– Manage IT consultant, phones, printer, computers, network, ISP, security
- Manage company insurance policies, business and professional licenses, professional associations plus necessary educational credits to maintain licenses
Accounting/Bookkeeping Coordination and Reporting
- Invoicing – track and record reimbursables, prepare and issue invoices, and monitor A/R collection [software used: Ajera]
- Accounts Payable – manage A/P (vendors, consultants, etc.)
- Reporting – annual/quarterly budget drafting, monthly financial reports, cash flow projections, etc.
Human Resources Administration
- Manage office HR duties including running bimonthly payroll, set up for new employees, benefit management, 401K, taxes, onboarding, etc.
- Manage BKDW database – repository for all client invoicing, timecards, contacts and projects
- Coordinate office events
- Assist Principal with marketing materials for publications and awards submittals
- Assist Designers with coordination, scheduling, and production of photo shoots of completed projects
- Screen potential clients
- Maintain and update a marketing database
- Coordinate with outside marketing, BD and/or public relations consultant[s]
- Assist in the preparation of RFPs and RFQs to win projects [software used: Photoshop, InDesign]
- Maintain digital project and product library
Executive Assistance to Principal
- Manage principal’s calendars and schedule meetings and events
- Client communication and coordination
- Provide personal assistance to principal
- BA or BS [Degree in Business preferred]
- 3+ years of Office Management (A & E firm experience preferred.)
- Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) experience required
- WordPress and Adobe Creative Suite desired
- Proficient accounting skills [Ajera experience preferred].
- Strong business acumen and logical problem solver
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills w/ attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse types of people (staff, consultants, vendors, clients)
- Thinks and acts like an owner with terrific people skills
- Financial planning skills: financial processes and reporting and strategic recommendations for proactive financial and project planning and risk management
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize, plan, use time efficiently and handle multiple projects
- Ability to maintain the highest level of professionalism and confidentiality
This position comes with benefits. Salaries are commensurate with experience and competitive with the San Francisco market.
How to Apply:
Please forward a cover letter highlighting your qualifications, including a current resume and relevant work samples samples to firstname.lastname@example.org and to email@example.com. Qualified candidates must have work permit for the US.