At Byrens Kim Design Works we are dedicated to the development of our team. Our small and intimate structure allows for a comprehensive experience in the field of architectural practice, exposing any one member to a wide range of project development phases. We offer competitive salary, flexible work hours, and match 401k, PTO, and medical.
We value the ability to share and collaborate within a team and are looking for individuals who share similar interests in delivering creative design solutions for our community. We strive to deliver projects that aim to achieve triple bottom line. We value creative and independent thinkers who are capable of making professional recommendations. Individuals should strive to meet our clients’ needs through expert advice and value added solutions.
The following positions are now available:
Job Captain / Intermediate Level Architectural Designer
Byrens Kim Design Works is an Oakland based full service architectural design and planning practice of 10 staff in pursuit of serving the public. Our projects bring value to education and growth of our community. We are looking for another team member to collaborate on following project types:
- Public Education projects ranging from kindergarten to higher education environment.
- Community projects including recreational centers, libraries, and parks.
- Workplace design
- Infrastructure projects in pursuit of sustainable environment.
We at BKDW are passionate about creating a process that delivers a Triple Bottom Line to all of our projects with the goal to generate built environments we feel proud about. We value creative and independent thinkers. The perfect candidate strives to meet our clients’ needs by offering expert advice and value added solutions.
We are dedicated to the development of our team and provide comprehensive experience that allows each team member to experience various aspects of an architectural practice. Our small and intimate office environment supports opportunities to gain experience on projects of all scales in various project development processes. We offer a competitive salary, flexible work hours, 401k matching, PTO, and medical/dental benefits.
The successful Job Captain applicant will be responsible for the project documentation production. They must be proficient in initiating, structuring, developing and delivering full architectural documentation at all stages of the project. The proficient Job Captain works collaboratively with the Project Architect to develop clear, effective, beautiful presentations, project deliverables, permit applications, construction documents and construction administration documents. A balance between self-proficiency, accountability and team collaboration is key to success. Delegation and mentoring of junior staff is part of the job. The Job Captain controls, schedules and coordinates consultant documentation in concert with the project schedule and is responsible for documentation-based communications and distribution to the project team.
Proficiency in Revit is required, and our office structure allows for and encourages improvements.
At BKDW, most Job Captains take key roles in the Design, Construction Document and Construction Administration phases. Applicants should have significant experience. Please describe your experience in your application.
The following qualifications are required.
- 5+ years of working experience in the field
- Proven track record for generating full permit sets for projects in collaboration with project architect/manager.
- Knowledge of CBC
- Knowledge of design and documentation for ADA
- Construction Administration experience
- Ability to mentor and delegate task to junior staff
- Proficiency in REVIT and AUTOCAD
- Architecture degree and progress toward licensure.
- Great Verbal and Written Communications Skills
- Ability to work as a collaborative team member
- Ability to review project schedule and to provide feedback in production approach
- Attention to details
- Desire to Create
- Knowledge of construction techniques
- Ability to perform materials and industry research
In addition, the following skills are desired:
- Rendering Abilities including 3D modeling [Rhino, 3DS, SketchUp] and 2D post production [Creative Suite].
- DSA or OSHPD experience.
BKDW seeks applicants interested in taking the role of Office BIM Manager.
The BIM Manager responsibilities include:
- Implementation, development and maintenance of office BIM and documentation standards.
- Rollout, installation and maintenance of architectural technologies on staff systems.
- Revit template maintenance and development
- Technology research and development – what is new in the industry? What should we be watching, developing, implementing?
- Technology training to junior (and senior) staff
- Technology standards development in the firm Practice Manual
How to Apply:
Please forward a cover letter highlighting your qualifications, including a current resume and relevant portfolio samples (5 Mb maximum file size) to email@example.com. Qualified candidates must have work permit for the US.